Saturday, August 13, 2011

"Aspen Pathway"

9 x 12
oil on hardboard

Hoping to do a little plein air painting on an upcoming trip to Colorado and New Mexico, so am trying my hand at landscapes again for a little practice with the greens and earth colors. Am mainly sticking with a limited palette of cad yellow light, alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue and white. I earlier did an extensive color chart with just these three tubes of paint and white and amazed myself with the broad range of color. Now if I can only translate them into a painting. The painting journey continues!
This was painted from a photograph taken on a hike in Estes Park a couple of years ago. 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful- love all the variety in the trunks- gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green is my favorite color. There are so many beautiful shades. I love to look at woodland scenery and check out all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thumbnail on my blog was magical and the larger image absolutely gorgeous, Ann. Your landscapes are extraordinary to me. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful, Ann, this is stunning! Loved having dinner with ya'll last night, it was past time for those husbands to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This work is so accomplished, Ann. I found your blog through Autumn Leaves. Wonderful landscapes, and I am impressed with the limited palette and what you did with it. The pure white on those branches really highlights the trees!

    ReplyDelete